Monday, September 3, 2007

Tokyo

A trip to Japan wouldn't be complete without a trip to the capital. Having arrived back from Thailand and then taught summer classes for a week we headed north for the metropolis that is Tokyo. Neon, people everywhere, train stations bigger than airports, subway lines that intertwined everywhere, the sublime, the ridiculous... you name it, Tokyo has it.



Having arrived in Tokyo we headed for our hotel, or rather hostel. The metropolis is, or maybe was the most expensive city in the world. I was stoked to grab some cheap accommodation for a few days so we could stay longer!!! We headed out to Asakusa, which is a little way out of the main areas of Tokyo, but still really accessible to other areas. Asakusa's main attraction is a temple. It's pretty impressive too, but as speed sight seeers we saw it rather quickly and then headed for other areas. It is a common belief that inside this temple is a golden Buddha. Is is just that, a myth, because no one has actually ever seen it. This was a popular temple to visit, with both locals and tourists flooding there everyday to pray, play some side show games and look around.

I think you can get to a stage where on a holiday you are rather over sight seeing. Thus the Tokyo trip was more about getting a feel for the place and checking out what people do and where they are rather than seeing anything in particular. We did however make our way to Tokyo tower. We went all out and bought the multi ticket (a total rip off but had to be done) which gave us access to many different sections; The Guinness World Records Museum, The Wax Museum (which included a section on torture), a hologram museum, a museum on optical illusions and of course the 150 metre observatory (You had to pay even more for he 250m observatory). Certainly a tourist trap but an enjoyable few hours spent.

There were some amazing districts. Shibuya and its crazy intersection (also one of the most fabulous record stores with the best listening post section I have ever seen!), Shinjuku and its sort of cool shopping areas, great restaurants and seedy red light district. It's kinda weird, at home you see things and kind of turn the other cheek. Since our ping pong experience of Thailand I've become really disturbed by the whole adult industry. I went for a walk at one stage through the red light district on Saturday night and felt as uncomfortable as I ever have. It's just not nice. Maybe I need a t-shirt that says I don't want a massage, or more of an aura!

Having said that, one of the best things we did whilst we were in the area was head out to a really nice Sukiyaki and Shabu Shabu restaurant. The staff were really fantastic and the food was the equal. A really kind waitress who explained everything really well and engaged us in good conversation. It was a really great experience.



Back to the districts... Probably my favorite area was Ginza... clean, classy, really expensive. According to the guides they say Ginza is to Tokyo as Park Avenue is to New York. It didn't disappoint. One of my memories is the row of neon billboards along the street that started with Dior and continued with Gucci, Prada and the like. I looked and smelt like money... and lots of it! Still, I don't understand how teachers are turning up to work with the genuine Louis and Dior bags. Maybe we teach in the wrong country!

Disneyland has been covered in previous entries and took up a fair bit of a time. Overall, I thought Tokyo was a really big city (stating the bleeding obvious). Possibly for me the wrong time to travel there as I was a bit over the life of travelling. It had a nice feel to it but it wasn't an oh my goodness city. Not something I need to rush back for. Is that too negative... ah blow it! I felt better when many Japanese people I know have shared my opinion (Not that it really matters what other people think!)! So all in all, good trip... glad I did it... I know there is so much more to see, but I'm in no rush for me to do it again!