Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ikebana (The Art of Flower Arranging)


I have now had a first experience doing ikebana. You may remember when Eiko did a presentation during Summer classes, well tonight she gave me a one on one lesson.

I must admit I wasn't sure what to expect. I am not known for my patience, especially with things as fiddly as flowers! Eiko brought the flowers for me as well as a beautiful bowl and ikebana spikey thingy-me-doobie that you stab the flowers into. Eiko brought some sun flowers and 2 other types of flowers, a beautiful mix just for me!


Eiko gave me careful instructions on the different lengths of each flower as well as the angles they leant on and looking at the shapes. Ikebana is all about making 3-D shapes using height and depth. I must admit that I was really impressed with what I created and so is everyone else who has seen it! I am definitely booking myself in for another lesson. I really enjoyed it and now I get to enjoy looking at the beautiful flowers on the table everyday.