Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Change is as Good as a Holiday

After 6 weeks of Summer vacation we headed back to school. This semester everyone has been appointed to a new school, mine being quarter of the size of my old school. The thing that sucks is that I have to leave home at 6:45am and ride to the city to catch my 7:15 bus. I ride the bus for 25 mins to the countryside and then I walk for 5 mins up a hill to get to my new school. It's really pretty and a nice change.


The school has 2 English teachers, one of those being part time. They are both really nice and speak great English (yay)! So far this week I have been up to my ears in marking...exams and summer homework. I am glad for something to do but I almost killed myself the other day trying to get a huge stack done before I went home.


We have sports day here next Sunday so the kids have been out practising everyday in preparation. On Wednesday it was over 30 degrees, with 80% humidity and we were all outside practising the opening ceremony where the kids march around in different formations (I'm yet to see them practise any form of actual SPORT!!!). I was just standing under my umbrella sweating up a storm. Then after standing out in the sun for 40 minutes we had to do some weeding!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? I kept telling the kids that I was hot and asked how much longer we had to do it. The teacher asked why? I said cos I'm hot. Then she said, but it's hot in Australia too. Then I said Yeah, but we don't stand outside!!! It's a frustrating Japanese cultural thing...Samurai thinking...if you think it's not hot, then it's not hot....though the beads of sweat running down my back tell me another story! Thankfully I was allowed to stay in the air conditioned staff room on Friday to finish my marking!!


After 1 week there I have taught 3 classes! One class was painfully quiet and I had to keep asking if they were awake!! The other two classes were great. I had to give my self introduction for the 100th time, which I love doing because I get to draw lots of pictures on the board to help them understand. The kids were really engaged and had the opportunity at the end to ask me some questions. The kids come into the staff room at cleaning time and vacuum, dust and empty the bins. There are a few students that take this opportunity to talk to me which I find hilarious and very cute. At one stage I heard some students talking outside the staff room and heard them refer to me as the "Koala Teacher"! At least they have the right country! The kids and teachers at this school are a lot more relaxed about things, share jokes and get along really well.


Our Sports Day is next Sunday so the next week will consist of lots of Sports Day practise. It is meant to be a great day (pity it's the end of a 7-day week for us).