Monday, September 17, 2007

Post Sports Day Enkai (Party)

After a long day in the sun it was time for a nice dinner and a few drinks (or a few too many in some cases!). The staff from Shiroyama and I went to a famous Japanese restaurant in Himeji and had a great time. The food seemed to just keep coming and coming, and so did the beers! Here are some piccies I took of some of the dishes we ate...

One of the dishes I regret not taking a picture of was the very first one. I actually ate a sea snail! It was quite rubbery in texture and salty (surprising?) in taste. Not my favourite dish of the night! But I was proud that I managed to swallow it down.

It is a Japanese custom that you cannot pour yourself a drink, so people are always keeping track of when others need a top up. This is a very dangerous custom because it makes it near impossible to keep track of how much you've consumed (for those who care about those kinds of things). The beer flowed all dinner long and everyone became a bit looser in their disposition! The baseball coach finished two bottles of sake all to himself and funnily enough found it hard to walk! Even though for the most part of the party I had no clue as to what people were saying, I enjoyed reading people's body language, facial expressions and tone of voice and couldn't help but laugh when the group did! The Principal made a speech to welcome me to Shiroyama Jr High and so did a couple of other teachers. At 9pm the 1st party was over and I happily toddled off home to bed as some of them kicked on to the second party which was karaoke!