Monday, September 17, 2007

A Japanese Sports Day

The day finally arrived and so I spent my Sunday at my school's Sports Day. Despite the fact that I had seen most of the events during practise sessions, I was still really excited to see the students competing in their red or white head bands. They all did really well and put on a great show for the parents who came to watch. The opening ceremony went off without a hitch and the students did a great job of the announcements over the day. Above, you can see the student leader standing in front of the Principal who is wearing his white sports outfit (pants and t-shirt), sneakers and a suit jacket!! What's wrong with that picture?


All day I saw the most amazing display of sportsmanship I have ever seen. Even when a bad call was made on certain competition, we simple heard a chorused "eeeeeeeeeee?" and then that was it!




I took part in a couple of events over the day which I loved. The first one was the 100m relay. The teachers had a team against the first grade girls. I managed to keep up with the youngsters and even bet 3 of them! Before each race, the participants were introduced and they would raise their hand in the air. When I was introduced they said my name, my role at the school and that I came from Australia. I waved my white batton in the air proudly which was followed by a round of applause from the spectators!! It was great! The second event I took part in was the women and children Vs men tug of war. We all had to congregate at the end of the track and then when the music turned on we had to jog onto the track, along the rope and into position. It was really fun but I ended up getting rope burn!


With the threat of an approaching typhoon looming all day, we managed to get through the closing ceremony as it started to sprinkle and then came a downpour! Some students decided to make the rain into a good thing and played junkin to see who had to run from the tent and slide across the high jump matresses like a slip and slide! It was hilarious. But very soon many more boys joined in! Good to see kids are just kids no matter where in the world you are.

No comments: