Friday, November 2, 2007

nervous

So I've been heading to one of the primary schools all year and yesterday was the last time. Over the last 4 times however we have been preparing for a demonstration lesson. Originally I was told that a few local teachers would be coming to see the lesson. We had fiddled with the lesson for a few weeks and eventually prepared the final lesson plan.

So yesterday I took the bus out to Yamada, about 45 minutes. It's out in the sticks. I had asked about dress code and when told I didn't have to wear a suit but the other teacher would I knew something was up. Then I arrived and all of the other teachers were wearing suits. I asked if it was an open day and they said no. I was told to be in the room at 1.45.

So I ventured in at 1.45. I noticed a couple of teachers I knew, so I said hello. I started to get nervous. I was also a little hungry so I headed out and walked around to calm the nerves and eat some apple. When I came back the crowd had swelled. We were now at 15 with about 5 minutes left before the start. This was not looking promising, as I know many Japanese people like to rock up write on the start time. Sure enough, another 10 did, including about 5 from city hall... including my boss... The nerves were jangling, especially as a good portion of the lesson involved me wearing a paper crocodile on my head!

Well, eventually the nerves settled... the lesson was good, well I think it was anyway... Looking like a peanut with a crocodile on my head seemed to endear me to a few of the Japanese people... I wonder if we'll see them wearing crocodiles on their heads teaching English... I only hope they don't hae to do it with 25 other teachers and their boss watching them.