Friday, November 2, 2007

Cultural Day

First up I'd like to say that I don't know why the schools call this event a Cultural Day, more like a drama and music day...nonetheless...that's what I had at my school today.


The gym was fit out with the floor coverings, curtains drawn and seating arranged for expected guests and students. There was a display of various art work by the students including snow dome collages, box collages and paintings. This Hello Kitty one was very cute, as were many of the others. Quite impressive actually. I was shown to my seat next to the teacher's table and then awaited the big event.


At 9am on the dot the proceedings began. First a speech from the Principal, then the head of PTA and lastly the school student captain. That was followed by a speech contest between 4 girls, one from each class of 2nd and 1st grade classes. Then the good stuff started...the singing contest. Each class lined up on stage. One student conducted the class and the student playing the piano. All pianists were amazingly talented. Every class sang 2 songs, one of which was sung by all classes. With 6 classes in the whole school we heard the one song sung 6 times. The harmonies were really good, WAY, WAY, WAY better than anything the Port Augusta town choir ever churned out!


Next was a play read by the 2nd graders. They started off by telling the story of the 3 little pigs, but half way through the story were interrupted by another group of students wearing all black and sunglasses who then proceeded to tell the story from the Wolf's point of view. There was a huge projection screen which showed pictures as the story was read, so then even I could keep up with what was going on! After this it was the teacher's turn to do our act!

During the week we had been practising singing in staff meeting everyday in preparation for the cultural day. We sang "Do-Re-Mi" in English and then Japanese and the "Puff the Magic Dragon" in Japanese. I was asked to sing "Do-Re-Me" as a solo which, surprisingly to the music teacher, I agreed to! So, we all headed back stage, mounted the steps and were then greeted by students handing out coloured card music notes and sticking them on our clothes! Very Japanese! So then we walked out on stage and waited for the curtain to rise. In the meantime I was handed the wireless mic and instructed to sing slowly! As the curtain was wound up I could hear several "Jodi Sensei"s from the students and then the piano began. I started out pretty well and in no time all the students were clapping to the song...it was so cute and I continued to belt out my lovely tunes and bop with their clapping! Next, we repeated the verse and this time the teachers joined in. The kids continued to clap for the entire act, which I found out later was not something they did last year!!! It was so much fun. After we finished the students called out "Encore, Encore".



The rest of the day included performances from the koto club and the guitar and mandolin club. They were great! There was another play and then the awards were given out for the singing contest. Once the festivities were all over we went back to the school building. I was then invited to go to the tatami room to enjoy a tea ceremony. I went with the Principal, Deputy, the janitor and Ms Hino. It was a lot of fun.