Sunday, October 7, 2007

Ginkakuji

To end Jono's family's holiday on a high we headed to Kyoto for 3 days. Though this was the third time for Jono and I to visit Kyoto, we managed to do things we haven't done before. First stop was Ginkakuji.

You approach the main gates along a path lined with tall hedges. You are greeted straight away with a beautiful zen garden. It consists of a sand cone with the top cut off and the characteristic parallel lines in the sand.

The rest of the gardens were beautiful and I went hell for leather with my new camera! I am starting to get really excited (as the Japanese do) because the leaves are starting to turn beautiful yellows, oranges and reds for Autumn. I don't think I have ever been this excited about the change in seasons, aside from the temperature!



The temple itself wasn't all that special (in my opinion). It looks like a little tired old thing and seeing at made me wonder why it's called the "Silver Pavilion". However, the visit to Ginkakuji was a very pleasant one indeed.