Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What I do at school... Jono

Since being in Japan many people have questioned what if any work I actually do. Let me state for the record I am very busy at school... I read much more than I ever have in my adult life (I think I've read 17 books so far, the majority at school), I count the roof tiles in the teachers room (200), I attempted to study Japanese but found that doing nothing was impairing my ability to concentrate, I look at the pictures of the sports newspaper (as I can't read the articles), I have 7 fantasy sports teams (NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, NRL, SUPER 14, AFL (I also participated in the cricket world cup fantasy competition and the premier league one isn't too far away)), I know all the Aston Villa news, both fact and transfer gossip and am waiting eagerly for MON to strengthen the squad... just out of interest Diego Forlan, Wes Sneidjer and a Marlon Harewoodare all rumored to be on their way to the midlands (rumour only!), so as you can see I am very busy!

But, when I have spare time I think and dream of being a tv show host. I think in the style of Letterman because I love his top 10's... So, in between dreams I have compiled the top 10 differences between Japanese and Aussie schools according to me... Here they are...

1. Seniority means less work, not more. Whilst everybody works stupid hours, the Principal sits at his desk in open view and reads the paper.

2. Students are dragged into rooms by the ears... The rest is seen and not heard... In Oz, it would be seen and heard... On ACA and Today Tonight and finally in court!

3. Teachers can poke students up... well, use your imagination... and still have a job!

4. Sleeping is acceptable in the staffroom... If only in Australia...

5. Students in Japan run along the outside of the windows whilst class is on... That is along the third story window ledge... I guess at least they're still on site!

6. Teachers here are disappointed when one student is away... I'm disappointed when only one student is away!

7. Teachers run to class 5 minutes early and walk back to class 5 minutes late... I run to the staff room 5 minutes early and avoid going back to class at all costs!

8.Teachers work extremely long hours here... Usually around ten hours a day... The curriculum is from a text book and students do a lot of the marking. Am I the only Aussie teacher who wouldn't hang around?

9. As with tradition here, it is important to wear the correct shoes inside. I'm stoked if my students even wear shoes!

10. In Japan, my desk is the tidiest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Out of 50 desks, me, my, I own the tidiest desk!!!! The most organised!

Please note... these are the views solely of the author and reflect nobody else's views but my own (although I have a sneaking suspicion others may agree with me, or be really offended and disagreeable!! Also, my teaching stories may have been slightly exaggerated purely for comic effect (I have never seen students walk along the window ledge on the third storey. That happpened at Jodi's school!)! JDG)