Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What I do at school... Jodi

Since being in Japan many people have questioned what if any work I actually do. As a picture person, I have prepared a step by step pictographifonium (don"t think that's a word!) of what I do so you can see...


Let's put some perspective in here... I teach (no, more like attend) about 8 x 50 minute classes across Mon, Tues, Wed and Fri, which means that I don't teach 14 lessons over those days. That means I have approximately 6 hours per day, that's 360 minutes, which is 21,600 seconds, per day to keep myself busy (refer to flash card). I am now an expert at it!!

To keep with Jono's style, I have compiled my list of top 7 things I like to do at school to keep 'busy';

7. Look out the window.

I quite enjoy peering out the window from my desk as it looks straight at an identical building, which is parallel, where the majority of classrooms are. While the large majority of students are sitting studiously at their desks and doing their work, there are a minority that keep the teachers on their toes. In terms of Australian standards, Behaviour Management procedures do not exist here in Japan. If a student 'escapes' from the classroom it is up the the teachers to follow and guide them back into the classroom. Quite often I see students wandering along the corridors with teachers in hot pursuit following them. I have even seen students run into other classrooms and come out the other door in an attempt to continue the chase game! While most behaviours are harmless I have seen some interesting things, like as mentioned in Jono's entry, students walking along the window ledge on the outside of the building on the third floor. They do this by climbing through the classroom window (which doesn't have fly screen) and jumping down. They often wave as they pass other classrooms, stop and have a chat and even jump through their window to pay a visit! Quite entertaining!


6. Write pen pal letters.

The girl in the special class has adopted me as her special friend. She has been writing me letters in Japanese and I have been writing back. They are simple letters like; What colour do you like? I like yellow. Yuki is very sweet and even gave me birthday presents and a card. I hear that that is quite rare in Japan, especially for the Japanese teachers.




5.Prepare for lessons.

Keep in mind that I assist in 8 lessons during the week at my Junior High, and I do the same lessons in each class, therefore I only ever have to plan / make / photocopy things once. The teacher will give me the focus phrase for the week and I try and come up with an interesting way that they can learn and practise it. This week it was "Have you ever...?". (It's a little bit different to the game "I never, never" which is one we all know and love.) I made a game which simulated naughts and crosses but each square on the grid already had a question in it. When they asked their opponent a question, they marked that box and waited for the reply. The aim, get 4 in a row. They loved it and even I got in on the action.

4. Look through bizarre catalogues.

Every week or so there comes a wad of Japanese home-order type catalogues filled with goods ranging from clothing and footwear to foods and gadgets. I always look forward to scanning through them as I have often found good examples for the 'What the?' section on this blog. Here is the latest in gadgetry in Japan...
It is a breath tester! It has a scale on which it tells you how good (or bad) your breath smells! Who buys these things?


3. Marking

This is purely voluntary! I often remind teachers that I am happy to help mark English papers any time. Ms Kawarai often takes me up on the offer which suits me fine, and keeps me busy for 20 minutes or so! Students complete at least 2 drill sheets per week. Multiply that by 20 students in a 1st grade English class and 18 classes of 1st grade English classes and that is a whole lot of paper! Here is the biggest pile I have had to mark at one time so far. It was great! The one thing I had to get used to here was that a tick mean WRONG and a circle means OK. They also draw their circles clockwise starting at the bottom left. If a whole section of work is correct they do a huge swirl over the top. It looks pretty. I've got into the swing of things now and love marking Japanese style!

2. Reading
This is easily my new favourite hobby. There's nothing better than sitting down and getting lost in a world of fantasy. I get lost in that world for hours a day! Don't you just hate me right now? I do, however, sometimes have to fight my drooping eyelids due to the lack of body movement and stimuli around! Nonetheless I have quickly grown to love reading and am about to start my next book.



Here it is, the big 'ichi ban' (number #1)...


1.Using the computer.

I have just about lived on the computer this year. It is my connection to a world that speaks English...it is my connection to family and friends...it is my connection to the latest world events (thanks to ninemsn.com and Adelaidenow.com) and of course a connection to blogspot.com so I can write this blog for you! I barely feel out of the loop due to the amazing technology of the Internet! Bless it's little cotton socks.