Thursday, March 8, 2007

Water anyone...


So, a story so stupid that only one author on this site could have done... and it isn't the more regular author of the two! So, I'll leave you to work out who this story actually belongs too.

As you have read previously on this blog, elementary schools provide lunch for their students... often, its delicious and nutritious! Today was bread day, so I got soup, bread (with apple in it) and of course milk! Those of you who know me will know I despise milk! Horrible stuff! So, I tell them I'm allergic and that seems to solve problem... However, today a new setting, as the milk monitor delivered a bottle of water to me. I thought, rippa, they've accepted the fact I can't have milk and are offering me an alternative!




So as the meal concluded, delicious as usual (at this particular school), I reached for the water. I unscrewed the lid and took a drink. All of a sudden many eyes turned and looked directly at me. I had noticed water on all tables but i just thought many students were taking a stand against milk! So I politely asked in Japanese if I could drink the water... They shook their heads with such fervour I thought I must have done something really wrong! So, i asked them again in English (I'm not sure why, thought it would help somehow! Stupid westerner!), and same response! Right, I'm in big trouble I thought, so I'll just plead ignorance! It was then I looked over and saw a student take the bottle and tip it into his milk carton. Hmmm... he then stepped out of the table setting and tipped the milky water into a bucket! Idiot!!! I had just drank the dishwater! I should have known Japan is the recycling capital of the world! Everything is recycled!



My Uncle Murray is big on looking for the positives... The positives of this story, despite looking ridiculously stupid, at least I have a decent story to tell y0u folk at home... I hope you are all washing out your cartons and recycling, even at work... And next time you are at a restaurant, take a moment to think about the bottle of water in front of you! It might not be for drinking!

1 comment:

Tinz said...

Which would you prefer now Jono - milk or water? :-) That story cracked me up!! hehehe
Tina