Friday, March 2, 2007

I Love Thursdays

Japan is such a different world, but as times passes it is all becoming very familiar to me.


While I ride my bike to school, my bag in my basket, I pass many school kids also on their way to school. They form something like a human bus. Kids wait at designated spots for the group to pick them up, and they follow a leader who holds a yellow sign in two straight lines. Elementary (Primary) school kids carry their big leather backpacks, either black or red, and small white caps on their head. Many kids carry their drink bottle on a strap over their shoulder. Its all such a precious sight.


My fourth visit at Arakawa Elementary was quite enjoyable. I was set to have 5 lessons of first graders over the day, each of 45 minutes. However, two of the classes had been combined for my lesson so I had 4 lessons, one consisted of 60 year 1s! We did the usual greetings, 'Seven Steps', 'Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes', 'Hokey Pokey', 'If you're happy and you know it', and a game called fruit basket using colours. All of the kids were so excited and happy to join in. The songs, mind you, take twice as long as usual because they echo what I sing. It's pretty cute to hear the words they make up to mimic my English!

For lunch I was invited to eat with the 3rd graders (a bit random but it was OK). Many kids were trying to talk to me, but I couldn't understand most of it so would respond with "wakarimasen"! They would continue trying to explain what they mean using more body language and hand movements, with limited success! Many kids presented me with gifts of origami. They are so clever. Our lunch consisted of a cabbage, carrot and wiener salad, spaghetti in sauce and a hotdog roll. Half way through eating, a teacher who knows English came into the class and asked if I would answer some questions. I said "sure". The always anticipated, "Do you have a boyfriend?" question popped up as did, "What food do you like?". Next came the most random question I have ever been asked..."What is your blood type?" What the? Do they need donations? Am a suitable victim? Haha.


Once I finished eating my lunch, the kids swarmed me holding paper and pencils..."Sign kudasai" they said, "sign kudasai". So I signed my life away. These kids had me signing anything they could get their hands on: paper, exercise books, pencil cases, rulers and it just went on. I felt like a pop star! When the bell went for play time I made my way back to the staff room and jumped on the computer. Soon after, two girls from the class I ate lunch with came and asked if I wanted to play with them! I accepted their kind offer and made my way to the play ground. Half of the class were out there waiting for me on the jungle gym. "Jodi sensei, Jodi sensei" they cried! I climbed up with them, much to their surprise and delight! They tried to explain to me that we were going play a game but again I replied with, "wakarimasen," (I don't understand). All of a sudden we were playing charades!!! What language barrier? I soon figured out they wanted to play chasey, woohoo! We played junken (paper, scissors, rock) to figure out who was 'it'. It wasn't me! But guess who they all wanted to chase? Yep, the sensei wearing a skirt, hair flying in her eyes and slip on shoes. ME! We were all giggling and trying to run. I had a great time. Before long the bell went and we had to go inside. They told me, "you are OK", holding their little thumbs up. I just about melted!

1 comment:

missnsoon said...

Now THAT sounds like a great work day!! Where can I get one like that?? hahahaha!!