Friday, July 20, 2007

Last Day at Sanyo Jr High

After two 14-week terms and 2 weeks of holidays (during which we had to go to school) my time at Sanyo has come to a close. Being the last day of school before Summer Vacation (Natsu Yasumi) we had the Closing Ceremony.


All of the kids were ushered into the gym, the whole 1000 of them, and soon the proceedings started. First was the speech from the Principal (which took a good 10 minutes) and then it was my turn! Ms Kawarai introduced me in Japanese and explained what I have done over the year so far. While that was happening I climbed the steps to the stage and awaited my cue. Unlike on my first day at Sanyo, I was quite nervous! I had my speech written out and translated into Japanese weeks in advance so I have had time to practise. I gave my speech, both in English and Japanese, and even if I do say so myself I aced it! After which I received a huge round of applause and then the student council president gave me a speech on behalf of all students. He too spoke in English and Japanese. It was very sweet. Next they all sang the school song followed by more speeches and awards. One student was awarded "The Best Teeth" award! Everyone was trying hard not to laugh!

After the Closing Ceremony, the students went home and the teachers had a very long and very boring meeting. And of course we all know how much of it I actually understood, not that I really minded this time cos it was my last day! Next...lunch!

Today's bento was much more appetising than ones previously, probably cos it wasn't all that Japanesey.We had steak, crumbed prawns with tartare sauce, plain rice and salad. Yummo. We also got a little side assortment of lollies. Apparently they are old school lollies, lollies most of them enjoyed when they were children! May and I finished ours relatively quickly and had to leave early because we were due to visit my new school, Shiroyama Jr High.

Shiroyama is a school in the countryside, on the side of some hills. The student population is 1/5 of that at Sanyo, so I'm going from teaching 24 classes across 3 grades, 2 just 6! The school is quite impressive with a large white school building, a track (Japanese version of an oval), Kendo gym, tennis courts, sports gym and a swimming pool. It will take about 20 minutes by bus from the city, which will mean leaving home at 6:50am to ride to the city and catch the 7:15 bus! Oh joy!!!! Never mind. The English teacher I met was lovely and spoke really good English (a huge bonus) and I'm looking forward to starting there after the holidays.

When we arrived back at Sanyo I still had about 40 mins until I could leave. I packed up my desk including the presents I had received from the teachers and the gear I had accumulated during the two terms. I was afraid it was going to be an anti-climax departure from my school until it was 3:57pm and a teacher asked me what time I was due to leave. I told them in 3 mins time and they asked me to wait because the art teacher was painting me a present. All of a sudden everyone started talking to me, saying they'd wished they had more time to speak to me before and we all looked on as the art teacher finished my present. She had drawn a picture of Jono and I (in the form of the school mascot) in front of the Himeji Castle with cherry blossoms falling down, to represent how Jono proposed to me. It was VERY cute. Then as I started to get ready I realised it was raining!! Nooooooo! All of a sudden Yamaguchi handed me an umbrella and another teacher handed me a new waterproof outfit for my ride home! Ms Kawarai then lead me down the middle of the staff room and everyone started clapping as I passed. It was so cool. They were classic. A handful of teachers came down stairs to see me off and waved to me as I rode off home.

When I got home I opened the presents I was given. From Ms Kawarai I received a letter and a beautiful cloth you use to wrap your lunchbox in. From Ms Uemura I received a potted plant of Morning Glory. From the English teachers I received a photo frame and a make up bag. I also received some letters from students and cards from other teachers (some of which I had never really spoken to!). I felt quite spoilt. And looking back at my time at Sanyo, I really enjoyed it and will miss the place.

No comments: